During one of Albert’s afternoon walks, we stumbled upon this little table tossed to the curb. When we went back on a dinner-time walk, the table was still there and this time we couldn’t resist bringing it home (well, savannah couldn’t anyway). We’d been wanting a table to put at the front door to collect all the ads that get stuck in the screen door and have a place to set things while unlocking the door. Ding ding ding! The price (free) was just right and for an outdoor table, it definitely had potential. Follow along the photos for how we brought a new life into this little table and let us know if you have any questions!
Definitely in need of some sanding
Spraying the legs
Cute little helper
Legs painted and top stained
Shadows are fun
Stripes taped off
Spraying the stripes
Refinishing furniture is hard work and leaves us tired
We added a clear sealant coat since the table will live outdoors
Of course, the table needed a little succulent friend
We think the little pop of neon is fun :)
Happy and safe Fourth of July tomorrow, yall!
(project also featured on www.radowl.com)
Inspired by this post on Creature Comforts Blog, we created these happy little pots for our homeless succulents. The project probably took about an hour because the paint dried really quickly outside in the sun. We’ve wondered how painting pots would effect the breathability (probably hurt it), but we figured since succulents can grow in just about anything, we figured it would be fine for them.
For as long as she can remember (or the last few years anyway), savannah has wanted strings of globe lights in her outside space. After reading about the experience our friend Paige over at Come and Take It Blog had with the solar powered lights at Target, and seeing how well the solar powered lights in our yard and our landlords’ yard worked, we decided to give them a go. THEY ARE FANTASTIC.
We cut some 2x4s in half, painted them white to match the railing on the deck and zip-tied them to the existing posts so they can be removed later (since we’re renting) and they instantly transformed the deck into a patio dreamland. (Okay, maybe that’s a little bit of an exaggeration–but they’re really cool).
One thing that should be noted is after a huge storm, one of the panels apparently had some water damage, but Target exchanged them for us no problem… so moral of the story is take them down or cover the panels if a big thunderstorm is headed your way. Enjoy the photos below!
One of the things we were fortunate enough to get with wedding gift cards was a sewing machine–a Singer 7258… and I love her.
Here she sits
When I was little, my grandmother B taught me, well, tried to teach me, how to sew. I was always too impatient to press the fabric first, forgot to leave a seam allowance and wanted to do silly things like use mismatched neon thread on everything (more to come on that later). Since I got the machine back in January, I’ve completed several projects (look for more in future blog posts), but the most fun part is remembering things she taught me–and how much easier/better they make the projects turn out when you do them!
So many stitch types!
In my younger years, I also had some issues with threading the bobbin… I could never do it successfully. It’s really easy on this machine. I was a little apprehensive of the digital-ness of this machine, but it’s awesome. There are so many stitches and it’s so easy to switch back and forth with the two buttons. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a machine.
Enough about that–on to what I made! I wanted a project to practice inserting a zipper (I’d never done that before). Enter yellow fold-over clutch. I’d found this fabric on one of our ventures to JoAnn, but wasn’t sure what I was going to make with it (hence it is lined with the same fabric). Following several tutorials, and including some touches of my own, this is how it turned out. There are a few small changes I’d make next time, but overall, I’d say it was a pretty successful “learn how to insert a zipper” project.
Unfolded to hold larger items
Card holders on the inside
Inside seams trimmed with bias tape